This flowchart was created to help teachers in my former district categorize their own questions by DOK level, to look for patterns and trends, in order to set goals regarding their quest for deeper thinking. It was a flowchart that worked with many question patterns we commonly saw, but was not intended to be definitive.
For example, when it came to a question in math, we knew there was a right and wrong answer -- for example, 3X4=12. However, we considered how there were multiple approaches to get to that correct answer. While, that was a discussion we had face-to-face, my original flowchart did not reflect those conversations. Therefore, I revised the flowchart to help clarify:
|Click here to download as PDF.|
- ELA Examples -- created by Karin Hess
- Math/Science Examples -- created by Karin Hess
- Math Examples -- by Robert Kaplinsky
- What might be some benefits of this flowchart? How might you improve it?
- What are some possible examples of deeper questioning and tasks for students?